Monday, January 9, 2012

Cereal

Since this is supposed to be a more or less random collection of miscellaneous things, along with being a reference for my own later use, here is a recipe for cereal. I have given up on finding a high protein, low sugar, low fat commercially made cereal.  I just want a simple breakfast that doesn't leave me hungry 3 hours before lunch.

I don't know if it would be considered a granola or muesli, but here it is, based loosely on my Mom's recipe from when I was a kid.

6 cups old fashioned oats
2 cups sliced raw almonds
3 Tbsp flax meal
1/4 cup quinoa
1/4 cup millet
1/2 cup wheat germ
1/2 cup soy protein
1 cup unsweetened coconut flakes
1/2 cup grape oil
1 cup honey
sprinkle of vanilla extract
dash salt
2 tsp cinnamon

Mix everything together, bake at 400 degrees, turning every 5 minutes, until browned.

Add:
1/2 cup dried cranberries
1 cup raisins

and stir them in while the previous ingredients are still very hot. I learned a long time ago not to put the fruit in before baking unless you like the taste of charcoal.

No comments:

Post a Comment