Saturday, August 18, 2012

The power of introverts



I just finished reading Quiet, by Susan Cain. It is by far the best book I have read in a very long time. I can relate completely to her description of extroversion being prized by society, and quietness being condemned.  I have lived with such condemnation my entire life. I have even sought medical treatment to be "cured" of the affliction. This book made me aware that I am not alone in this. It has also given me a new perspective on my place and value in society.
 
This is worth sharing:
In a culture where being social and outgoing are prized above all else, it can be difficult, even shameful, to be an introvert. But, as Susan Cain argues in this passionate talk, introverts bring extraordinary talents and abilities to the world, and should be encouraged and celebrated.


I am very thankful to have finally found employment in an organization that has other people like me, and values my contribution and strengths rather than coercing me to be something I am not.  If only other groups of people in my life could be as understanding.

No comments:

Post a Comment